We are hiring! We’re looking for Lead & Senior Software Engineers to work across our critical platforms. While you may not have heard of our name, there’s every chance we’ve powered at least some of your online payments in the past decade. We’re going through an exciting growth period, and are seeking team members to join work on our Acquiring, Billing, Merchant Services and Risk platforms.
We are a small team who believe that a workplace should be relaxed, friendly and flexible. We are based Australia-wide, with an established remote-first culture. Sydney based staff may make use of the Surry Hills office (a short walk from Central train station).
About Fat Zebra
Fat Zebra - A payments platform for today's internet economy - is a Sydney-based Payment Services Gateway which connects merchants across the APAC region to Banks, Fraud Tools and billing platforms to simplify how they accept payments. We specialise in high volume, real-time processing for ecommerce and mobile transactions.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Expertise in at least one major programming language, preferably using Ruby
- Some experience with at least a second programming language, ideally TypeScript
- Strong experience shaping and implementing scalable web applications, ideally using Ruby On Rails
- Deep understanding of SQL and demonstrable ability to tune relational DB backed code.
- Comfortable writing specs with RSpec
- Comfortable working AWS systems and technologies
- Comfortable working autonomously.
- Background or a strong interest in payments
Senior Software Engineers at Fat Zebra
As a Fat Zebra engineer, you will work in small teams and help define and implement key features across Fat Zebra’s platforms. You will have the opportunity to deep dive into cutting edge payments technologies and learn to become a subject matter expert. In addition, you will:
- Deliver high quality code backed by extensive tests / specs.
- Refactor outdated code when required
- Regularly participate in code reviews / PRs.
- Work closely with business owners to understand and implement features that add value to our customers.
- Create & Review Change Requests outlining outlining end-to-end solutions when delivering features.
- Estimate effort on new features.
- Mentor more junior developers and assist where needed
At Fat Zebra we believe in behaving in a professional & supportive manner. The payments industry is full of complex jargon and overloaded terminology. Mistakes are easy to make. We support both new and existing staff by working to the following principles:
- Be polite. Interactions with peers are always kind. Argue against an idea - never against the person.
- Be pragmatic. Seek to deliver on the bigger picture of generating value for our customers over perfection in code.
- Be helpful. We believe the best work-places are ones where we know there is always someone available to help if we need it. Respond promptly when someone asks for help.
- Be bold. Strive to go outside your comfort zone. We are a small team - and we frequently go into uncharted territory. Even if failure is possible, learning is guaranteed.
Please send your cv (.pdf, .txt, .doc) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to put the position you are applying for, along with your full name in the 'subject' of the email.